The John Carroll Science Olympiad team was very successful in the Maryland State Finals on Saturday, March 29, at Johns Hopkins University. Ms. Jessica Limmer was able to take a team of fourteen students to compete in various science, engineering and technology events. Each student did an incredible job preparing and competing in the assigned events. The team included Seniors: Cole Alban, Adam Beard, Andrew Beard, Josh Mannion, Matt Cleary and Mitchell Russell. Juniors: Alex English, Gloria Qiao and Fred Zhang. Sophomores: Sunny Zhou, Min Kim and Joann Lee. Freshmen: Delaney Link and Christina Giovanazi.
- Fred Zhang and Adam Beard placed 1st in the Maglev competition
- Cole Alban and Adam Beard placed 2nd in the Chemistry Lab event
- Fred Zhang and Andrew Beard placed 2nd in the Technical Problem Solving event
- Other team members were able to place in 4th, 5th, and 6th places in the following events:
- Josh Mannion and Mitchell Russell placed 4th in Anatomy and Physiology
- Gloria and Sunny Zhou placed 5th in the Circuit lab and 4th in the Elastic Launch Glider
- Min Kim and Joann Lee placed 5th in Designer Genes
- Delaney Link and Christina Giovanazi placed 4th in Disease Detectives and 5th in Dynamic Planet
- Mitchell Russell and Joann Lee placed 5th in Entomology (study of insects)
- Min Kim and Delaney Link placed 4th in Forensic Science
- Adam Beard and Fred Zhang placed 5th in Geologic Mapping
- Josh Mannion and Joann Lee placed 6th in Water Quality
- Matt Cleary and Mitchell Russell placed 4th in the Write It Do It event
This has been a fantastic start to this new team at John Carroll and we hope to do even better next year! If you are interested in more information about Maryland Science Olympiad please visit www.marylandscienceolympiad.org or see Ms. Limmer in room 208 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. All students are welcomed to join in next year’s teams!