Becoming a Patriot
We invite you to start your Patriot journey!
JC accepts students who are motivated to meet the rigor of college-prep work, eager to learn and succeed in an academic environment, and whose personal qualities make them a good fit for our community. Candidates are evaluated on:
- Middle school performance including academics, conduct, and attendance
- Standardized test scores
- Teacher recommendations
- Performance on the High School Placement Test (HSPT)
But that’s not all we consider. We know each student is more than a sum of grades and scores. We want students who can show that they’re willing to lead; who seek to collaborate when solving problems; who incorporate critical thinking; who see strength in diverse perspectives and most of all, who can maximize every opportunity to create their own Patriot story and make their mark on the world.
10 Steps to Apply
- Create Your Admissions Profile. Set up a John Carroll account to access the Admissions Portal.
- Register for a Shadow Day. Come see firsthand what it means to be a Patriot!
- Take the High School Placement (HSPT) test. You will be able to register for the HSPT on September 11, please check back on that date to register. Please note, if you are currently attending a Catholic school in the Archdiocese, your school administers the HSPT. John Carroll will offer the HSPT for all prospective candidates on Saturday, December 4 at 9:00 a.m.
- Attend Open House on October 30. See firsthand all the reasons why “Every Patriot Has a Story!” Meet the teachers and coaches, take a student-led tour, talk to current parents, learn about our unique academics, incredible arts and expansive athletic programs, and experience the energy of our vibrant school community. Choose from one of two sessions: 10:00 a.m. to noon or 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. Registration is required.
- Submit the Online Application. Complete your application, including any additional applications for special programs, and pay the $50 application fee. Applications must be received by Friday, December 17.
- Release Your Records. Download John Carroll’s Request for Records form if matriculating from a school not affiliated with the Archdiocese of Baltimore; if you attend an AoB Catholic school, indicate John Carroll as a choice to your current school guidance counselor. Be sure all records arrive in a timely fashion.
- Submit Your Financial Aid Application. Visit FACTS Management Company website to submit your Financial Aid Application, if desired. If you have any problems, email our Finance Office.
- Schedule an Interview. Your student will have an interview with someone from our John Carroll Admissions Committee. You will receive an email with instructions on how to sign up, a registration link and some tips and tricks in mid to late November.
- Decision Day! February 17, check your email for an acceptance email with next steps, then look in the mail for your black and gold acceptance envelope in or around February 17, 2022!
- Complete Enrollment Contract. Upon acceptance, complete the enrollment contract provided to admitted students no later than March 4, 2022.
Please note that students who are also applying for acceptance to special academic programs may need to complete additional recommendations. Space in those programs is limited, and the best consideration is given to those who complete the application prior to the December 17, 2021 deadline.
The John Carroll School admits students of any race, color, religion, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.