Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Being A Patriot
What do students wear to school?
There are several uniform options for our young men and women.
Pants, Shirts and Kilts: Most uniform items can be purchased at the John Carroll School Bookstore and at Flynn & O’Hara. Uniform pants (Men’s and Women’s Khakis) can be purchased through Land’s End; Men’s dress shirts can also be purchased at Land’s End. Girls will need to purchase their uniform kilts in store or during fitting sessions held at John Carroll.
Shoes: Boys and girls must wear black or brown leather dress shoes. We do allow “Sperry” style docksiders which most of our students wear. We do not allow canvas shoes, VANS, or any shoe with thick, white trim (e.g. Converse, Polo).
What is the benefit of attending a co-ed school?
Co-education creates a real-life comradeship that is not found in single-sex education. According to research performed by the American Council for Co-Educational Schooling (ACCES), co-education enhances communication and collaboration among young men and women while building relationships. Learning how to solve problems and work effectively with members of the opposite sex is a fundamental skill that is imperative for success beyond the educational setting.
What is the average class size?
The average class consists of 19 students. Our faculty can give each student the personal attention they need to succeed with a low 11:1 student to teacher ratio.
Is there bus transportation available to and from John Carroll?
Yes! There are bus routes from Jarrettsville to Kingsville to Perryville with many stops in-between. Families can choose from round-trip and one-way options and a variety of payment plans. For additional information and to sign up for bus transportation, visit here.
What are John Carroll’s school day hours?
The John Carroll School’s academic day begins at 8:00 a.m. and ends at 2:45 p.m. except for early dismissal days, when students are dismissed at 2:15 p.m.
What are the benefits of the eight-day academic cycle?
The eight-day cycle allows for optimal instruction because it varies the time of day the student has the class. It also helps students avoid missing the same class each week for sports games and other extracurricular events that may occur on the same day of the week.
What distinguishes John Carroll from other schools?
Besides challenging academics, award winning arts and competitive athletics, there are several unique components to a John Carroll education:
- Service. Service is an integral part of the school mission, and so each student must complete a minimum of 60 hours of community service to graduate. Service Learning Opportunities include overseas trips to help populations in Honduras, Costa Rica and more.
- Senior Project. Since 2008, completion of a Senior Project has been a mandatory graduation requirement. Seniors must create, develop, implement, and present for evaluation an independent project that involves 30 hours of field experience.
- International Focus. Gaining a global perspective is a big part of a JC education, and students develop understanding and compassion for other cultures not only through study, but through side-by-side learning with classmates from around the world. The school has an on-campus international dormitory, partners with schools from China, and currently has registered students from 10 different countries.
What opportunities are available in the arts?
John Carroll has award-winning arts programs with numerous academic, extracurricular, and club opportunities for our students to further exploration of visual, literary and performing arts. Students can also audition and take courses at the College Preparatory Dance Program at no additional cost.
- There are 32 different visual, literary and performing art courses.
- Students can participate in seven different musical ensembles: Marching Band, Concert Band, Bella Voce (a cappella group), Chorus, Jazz Ensemble, Pep Band, Orchestra and Rock Band.
- A number of dance and music concerts, along with three musical theatre performances, are put on each year and are well attended by the community. Many students have roles in both fall and spring musical theatre productions, as well as perform in winter and spring concerts.
- The band marches in numerous area parades and home football games. It also performs at school assemblies, pep rallies and other school activities, as well as during the Open House.
What AP and College Credit Opportunities are available?
John Carroll currently offers 50+ AP and Honors courses and has special diploma distinctions including Fine Arts and Science, plus the new AP Capstone diploma.
Are there any special program options for students?
Yes! John Carroll strives to offer a challenging and customizable education for every student. Special programs include:
- STEAM Academy (by invitation only): For students who display a strong interest and aptitude for science and/or mathematics
- St. Joseph Program: Supports student with documented learning differences and helps participants excel by providing tutoring and developing customized strategies for their personal learning style.
- College Preparatory Dance Program: Offers conservatory level training in an academic setting.
- AP Capstone: Challenges scholarship recipients to take two yearlong AP classes and four additional AP courses. John Carroll is the first Catholic high school in the state of Maryland approved by the College Board to offer this AP Capstone diploma.
- Senior Project. Since 2008 completion of a Senior Project has been a mandatory graduation requirement. Seniors must create, develop, implement, and present for evaluation an independent project that involves 30 hours of field experience.
How can I afford John Carroll?
The John Carroll School partners with a tuition management service, FACTS Management Company (FACTS), to provide our families with payment plan options and flexibility in making their tuition payments. We also offer financial assistance to eligible families, based on documented financial need. Financial Aid grants are awarded annually and are deducted from the tuition. In addition, the John Carroll School provides sibling discounts and scholarship opportunities. For more information, click here.
Does my child need a laptop?
Yes, all students are required to have a laptop. For details, visit our Technology page.
How often is mass celebrated at school?
Every school day at JC begins with a prayer. Mass is celebrated each Wednesday in the Chapel but attendance is optional. School-wide liturgies are held for the opening of school, holy days and the end of the school year. Additional opportunities for worship are available during Junior Ring Mass, Thanksgiving Prayer Service, Christmas Eve Mass and Baccalaureate Mass. Students can get involved by serving as Eucharistic Ministers, Music Ministers, Lectors, Sacristans and Altar Servers.