The Diploma Distinction that Sets You Apart
John Carroll was approved to offer the AP Capstone Diploma Program starting in the Fall of 2018–the first Catholic School in the state to earn this right from the College Board. The AP Capstone Diploma Program is a uniquely distinguished opportunity for our best and brightest Patriots to participate in one of the most rigorous academic programs available. The AP Capstone Diploma Program will help students to develop critical thinking skills that allow them to think independently, analyze issues from different perspectives, to communicate clearly, and to conduct independent research. These are exactly the types of skills that they will be expected to utilize in college. By participating in the AP Capstone Diploma Program, the students will take six AP courses. Two are required: AP Seminar and AP Research. The other four AP courses will be selected by the students. If the students successfully pass all six AP courses, then the student graduates with the AP Capstone Diploma. This distinguished award will provide opportunities for our best students to attend elite colleges and universities of their choice.
How the AP Capstone Diploma Program Works
- AP Seminar is the first course in the AP Capstone Diploma Program and is taken in 10th grade. In this year-long course, students will complete a team project and presentation, write and present an individual, research-based essay and take an end-of-course exam.
For more information, visit the AP Seminar student home page.
- Subsequently, students in the AP Capstone Diploma Program will take AP Research, in which they will draft an academic paper, present it and orally defend their research.
For more information, visit the AP Research student home page.
- If students earn scores of 3 or higher in both AP Seminar and AP Research AP Exams, they will receive the AP Seminar and Research Certificate.
- Additionally, students who take any four additional AP courses and score a 3 or higher on AP exams for all four of those courses will receive the AP Capstone Diploma.
- AP Capstone students take AP Human Geography in 9th grade.
For more information on the AP Capstone, visit collegeboard.org/apcapstone.